Friday, October 8, 2010

Improve your writing with clever formatting

One of the age-old writing principles is to write less. Detail is fine, clutter is not. But we like to fill up space. We’re compelled to fill blank pages with content, even if it dilutes what we’re saying.

To combat this tendency increase the size of the text you write with and give yourself less space to fill.

Within TextMate, for example I write with size 14 text and have it so the text wraps after 78 characters. This means that even a small paragraph fills up plenty of space, satisfying my ego while deflating the word count.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't really agree with this. But then I have

Unknown said...

I have no problem with leaving blank space.

Namja! said...

Double spacing is another option.

Anonymous said...

awesome, cheers- supporting

-ITW- said...

rage requires more WORSD!

Starcraftstrats said...

sounds like something I need to start doing

IndustrialHaze said...

what you did there...
i see it

Unknown said...

Yes, I need to improve my writing. It will make my blog more attractive. Helpful post!

Aeacus.Warden said...

yep..

Dake said...

haha nice trick i approve!

Anonymous said...

splendid!

mehz said...

Will try out!

Anonymous said...

very cool! thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting my blog!

Musica said...

Also, fixing the spacing between your characters a tiny bit helps a load, great blog man...
Supportin'

nmbr22 said...

Another fan of the Textmate. Too bad programming doesn't follow that ego trip.

ePanda said...

Ehhh.. I think proof reading your entries is better than typing huge to limit the crap. gotta get the ideas out then revise them.

KTOTHES said...

This is an awesome hack ! Now my writing can improve.